Sharing new authors, books, movies, and products with you is such a joy! If you are looking for homeschooling reviews from a transparent relaxed learning eclectic lifestyle with two active middle school boys - - you may enjoy my main blog - http://pebblekeeper.wordpress.com .

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The Doctor’s Lady

I was able to review The Doctor’s Lady by Jody Hedlund this week as part of being a reviewer for Bethany House.

The book came at a good time where I needed to take a day’s break and curl up with a good book.  I followed Priscilla from Angelica on the East Coast to Fort Walla Walla on the West.  The characters were richly built, easy to identify with, and quickly sparked the “pulls ya in” quality that I like in a book.  I did /do tire of characters that seem to always whine and wonder to themselves parts of their lives that we are pretty sure will work out in the end, or through the book, so the whining/not communicating part got old. But – for these characters – I do think that on the trail, in few numbers of company, they, like us, only had a few thoughts to ponder on those many months. It reminds me not to continuously ponder a “what we said/what we think might happen” dialog in my own use of time.

I was so pleased to hear that the story had, in fact, been based on Narcissa Prentiss Whitman and Eliza Hart Spalding, the first White Women to cross the pass in 1836. As all good little missionary minded school girls of Oregon – we know / have learned quite a bit about these two courageous women.

Looking for a great book or kindle download? I suggest that you might really enjoy this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment