Sharing new authors, books, movies, and products with you is such a joy! If you are looking for homeschooling reviews from a transparent relaxed learning eclectic lifestyle with two active middle school boys - - you may enjoy my main blog - http://pebblekeeper.wordpress.com .

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Freefall to Fly, A Review

510 JZYdx0LFreefall to Fly: A Breathtaking Journey Toward a Life of Meaning

Rebekah Lyons

(A review from a free copy of a hard bound book from Handlebar – publisher – Tyndale)

I asked to review this book when I read the introduction. It is Rebecca’s non fiction story of her own life – one that was turned upside down when she moved from the suburbs of the south to New York City with children.

Reading the preview – I realized that I would identify with her journey. We had created a life of wonder in a town full of homeschoolers. The world was our oyster and choices abounded with classes, friendships, gathering, churches – we thought we had it all. And then we moved to a tiny town, due to a transfer from a retail company for hubby, with no choices, people, youth groups, or homeschoolers.  How could God think that this was best for us?

Her first year in New York City – mirrors many of the feelings I had here on the coast.

I had picked up the book to read it several times in the last couple of weeks, but it would get too personal, too hard, not light enough for an afternoon.  So I’d put it down to read some fluff. Today, during the kids’ state testing, I finally had that block of time to dig deep. Go through the journey with her. Now, don’t get me wrong, she is a light hearted writer, and shares her journey with lightness and humor. It was just a little too close to my truth.

I have nine places where I had to pull out the pencil and underline passages. I’ve already thought of a friend that I will pass it on to this week.

Many times I had to re-read through a text.

Like on page 55 – “The changes in our life must come from the impossibility to live otherwise than according to the demands of our conscience, not from our mental resolution to try a new form of life. – Leo Tolstoy”

I understood as she tried to cling to her life.  Trying so hard to find “a new form of life”. She heard Jesus say, “If you cling to your life, you will lose it; but if you give up your life for me, you will find it.”

It is in this surrender, this free fall – that the book is centered on. And fall long and hard she did. She did not mince words as she brought us through her anxiety attacks, depression and disappointments. I can’t really quote the whole book to you, to share it. But I can say -

Are you walking through a difficult period? Is your life out of control? Are you experiencing panic attacks. Have you lost hope? Can you imagine a life of being free? Come walk alongside Rebekah as she finds her hope. Through her children, husband, friends, and the word.

No comments:

Post a Comment