Sharing new authors, books, movies, and products with you is such a joy! If you are looking for homeschooling reviews from a transparent relaxed learning eclectic lifestyle with two active middle school boys - - you may enjoy my main blog - http://pebblekeeper.wordpress.com .

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Boundaries for Leaders, A Review

Boundaries for Leaders: Results, Relationships, and Being Ridiculously in Charge

By Dr. Henry Cloud
Published by Zondervan

I originally requested this book to review from BookSneeze to help out a friend, in a new office management position.  I thought I’d read it to glean some tips for my hubby who is in Retail Management.  I ended up reading every single page, and enjoying the entire read. I like the way Dr. Henry Cloud writes, how he explains human behavior and our reactions to people’s actions.

Chapter by chapter I could see circumstances and results in my own life and that of my friends. My favorite section was The Emotional Climate That Makes Brains Work. My husband works in an extremely hostile work environment, has for the last 4 years.  I could see the choices of management and the fight or flight reactions. It helped me to see what he is going through. A fresh new manager came to the store a few months ago – ready to run the company and rule the world. He has how chosen Flight and switched retail establishments throwing away a thriving career path. Nothing anyone could say to him could change his mind and make him stay. I couldn’t figure it out until this chapter. I wish I had the guts to hand this book to the three executives in charge of our store. sigh.

If you are in charge of people, and are trying to figure out how to pull your team together – this is the book for you.  If you are like me, Type A. Take Charge. Run in and Fix. – then this is the book for you.  He gives so many example of how the same things can be said and presented, in just a bit of a different twist – to take your team to a winning level. I feel like a lot of what I say is misunderstood, and this book helped to explain reactions to me.

I have enjoyed the other Boundaries books, and this was no disappointment.

From the Publisher:

Book Description

An expert on the psychology of business and a co-author of the classic bestseller Boundaries explains how the best leaders set expectations and limits to get the results they want from their employees and from themselves.

In Boundaries for Leaders, Dr. Henry Cloud combines his knowledge of human behavior, business leadership, and neuroscience to help executives lead effectively, build organizational culture, develop strong teams, and get results from themselves and others.

What is a boundary? Simply put, a boundary is a property line that defines ownership, control, and responsibility. It sets limits on the behaviors and activities allowed on the property. Similarly, leadership success depends on shaping and defining organizational boundaries. When leaders set appropriate and healthy expectations that are in line with the ways people actually behave, organizations and their employees thrive. Beginning with a lucid description of how brains actually work, Dr. Cloud then applies those principles to the most critical aspects of a leader's work: how to manage teams, coach direct reports, and instill an organization with strong values and culture.

Filled with inspiring and practical examples, Boundaries for Leaders is essential reading for executives and those who aspire to lead-professionals who want to create successful companies, with more satisfied employees and customers, while becoming more resilient managers themselves. Its practical advice brings clarity and direction, helping leaders cut through the chaos and confusion, resulting in organizations that are positive and results-oriented. In short, it defines the essential boundaries that leaders must provide for their vision to become reality.

I received this book from Book Sneeze for free in exchange for a review on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment