Sharing new authors, books, movies, and products with you is such a joy! If you are looking for homeschooling reviews from a transparent relaxed learning eclectic lifestyle with two active middle school boys - - you may enjoy my main blog - http://pebblekeeper.wordpress.com .

Saturday, December 21, 2013

The War on Christmas, Bodie Hodge, A Review

waronchristmas

I’ve been wanting to share The War on Christmas, Battles in Faith, Tradition, and Religious Expression by Bodie Hodge with you – and I finally have minute to share.

I wasn’t sure what to expect with this book. I have so many different ideas about the time period between Thanksgiving and New Years. I’m not that into the whole “Happy Birthday Jesus” part of Christmas, since it isn’t His birthday.  We’ve run all away around the block as we came to terms as a family what our traditions would be. We’ve settled for paying attention to Advent – the Coming of Jesus as a baby, and the anticipated coming of Jesus in the future. We also live in America, and have fun enjoying the traditions of our community, stories and movies.

So I was surprised that I really enjoyed The War on Christmas. I thought it was going to tell me that “Jesus is the reason for the season” or that I needed to teach my kids to give to homeless and the hungry in December.

What it does, is break down several areas regarding Christmas.

In What About Christmas the book talks about Jesus, his name, when he was born, the history surrounding the day and making it relevant to this generation.

Confusion and Misconceptions dig into XMas, the Wise Men and singing Angels.

The 5 Areas presented are What About Christmas, Confusion and Misconceptions, It’s All Baby Jesus, How Christmas Came to Be, and The War on Christmas

Each part of the 5 parts of the book are straightforward and give what we have learned, that most Americans Church Goers really have quite a few bits of the story off.

In the end, it is worth celebrating, which is what we came to terms with as a family. Truth is good. Communication is great. This is a Master Books book from New Leaf Press. It holds the bar with what I’ve come to expect with presenting truth in print.

The 5 Areas presented are What About Christmas, Confusion and Misconceptions, It’s All Baby Jesus, How Christmas Came to Be, and The War on Christmas.

I received a copy of this book which was published by Master Books, a division of New Leaf Publishing Group for free in return for a blog post and a review on a company such as Amazon. My opinion is my own, and I’m allowed to be fair positive or negative. I think this is a great book, worth ordering and discussing with your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment